Friday, June 06, 2008

Brand Spanking New (Part 1): Jewish Picture Books


Action on the floor, Originally uploaded to Flickr by wkpspier


SHOW NOTES:


What's new in Jewish picture books? Follow me around the 2008 Book Expo America conference to listen in on publishers and authors talking about their new and forthcoming titles! I gathered so much audio that I'll be posting it over four episodes. Part 2 will be books for children and teens, Part 3 will be adult books, and Part 4 will be books (for all ages) relating to the Holocaust.

Part 1, Jewish Picture Books:

Tricycle Press
The Yankee at the Seder by Elka Weber

Marshall Cavendish

Cakes and Miracles by Barbara Diamond Goldin
The Hanukkah Mice by Steven Kroll
The Rabbi and the 29 Witches by Marilyn Hirsh

Tanglewood Press
The Miracle Jar by Audrey Penn

Sleeping Bear Press
A is for Abraham by Richard Michelson

Kar-Ben Publishing
Jodie's Hanukkah Dig by Anna Levine
Harvest of Light by Allison Ofanansky

Engineer Ari and the Rosh Hashanah Ride by Deborah Bodin Cohen
Sammy Spider's First Day at School by Sylvia Rouss
Sarah Laughs, Benjamin and the Silver Goblet, Miriam in the Desert by Jacqueline Jules

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Built By Angels by Mark Podwal

Blue Apple Books
Hanukkah Haiku by Harriet Ziefert

Holiday House
The Mysterious Guests by Eric Kimmel

Yale Strom, author
:
The Wedding That Saved a Town by Yale Strom (Kar-Ben)

AUDIO:

Click the play button on this flash player to listen to the podcast now:


Or click MP3 File to start your computer's media player.

CREDITS:

Thanks to Yale Strom for permission to record and podcast his violin performance at Book Expo. Our regular background music is provided by The Freilachmakers Klezmer String Band.

Books mentioned on the show may be borrowed from the Feldman Children's Library at Congregation B'nai Israel. (Or if they're too new to be in the library now, they will be once they are published!) Browse our online catalog to reserve books, post a review, or just to look around!

Your feedback is appreciated! Please write to bookoflifepodcast@gmail.com! Or even better, if you know of any new Jewish picture books I missed seeing at Book Expo, please post a comment!

8 comments:

MyJewishBooks.com said...

Oh
i am so jealous
i have been to the bea for the past 10 yrs but had to miss this year for family reasons
i want to rush home to my ipod to listen... i can't wait
i will link your site to my site. my readers will love it
thanks

larry
MyJewishBooks.com
SeferSafari.com
Tzedaka.org
Jewishfilm.com

Alba Toscano said...

Heidi

I love your podcast. Do you take requests? I read Aaron Lansky's book Outwitting History and I loved it so much that I've passing it around to all the english-speaking members of La Javura. Would you be able to interview Aaron for one of your podcasts?

Besos
Alba

Heidi Estrin said...

Hi Alba,
I read Outwitting History and I think it'd be great to interview Aaron Lansky! I'll see what I can do. Thanks for the suggestion!

Heidi

Elliot Kreloff said...

Hi Heidi--

Thanks so much for interviewing me about Hanukkah Haiku. Although you caught me off guard, I was glad for the opportunity to talk about our beautiful book. One thing I'd like to mention, at the end of the podcast you note that there are links to the websites of the various publishing companies, however, many of the books featured at BEA are not being published until the fall, so in our case, the title would not appear on our web site until the book is available to the public.
I found this to be true on other publisher's sites as well. I just thought I'd mention this in case someone gets frustrated trying to find a particular book online before it's pub date.

Again, thanks for the opportunity.

Elliot Kreloff
Blue Apple Books

Heidi Estrin said...

Thanks, Elliot, this is a really good point. In fact, it's the reason I linked to the publishers instead of to the individual titles - in many cases there's nothing to link to yet. But I figured the publishers should get credit, and maybe people will want to sign up for their newsletters or something so they'll hear about it when these books come out.

Anne Dublin said...

Dear Heidi,

I loved this podcast! Thanks so much for sharing the wealth. I hope you had a chance to interview Margie Wolfe from Second Story Press at Book Expo. I just finished reading one of SSP's new books, The Diary of Laura's Twin by Kathy Kacer. I liked it so much that I've recommended it for our OBBA list. I hope we can stay in touch, and I'll certainly keep listening to your wonderful podcasts.

All the best,

Anne

Heidi Estrin said...

Hey Anne,
I did get to talk to Margie Wolfe about The Diary of Laura's Twin and some other stuff. That interview will appear in Part 4 of this series of podcasts, which will be all Holocaust-themed books. Glad to hear you liked it so much, because of course I haven't yet had a chance to read it!

Heidi

Marie said...

Heidi, great podcast! Thanks for all your work giving us a great heads up on upcoming books!